Monday, September 5, 2011

My Teacher Knows His Stuff

I have had the same teacher for my perspective and rendering classes. Many times he would say in class that we need to be able to draw quick sketches on anything and everything around you. To prove his point we had to sketch on a table cloth for our final exam. Therefore, I learned that I need to be able to sketch quickly to get my ideas on paper.


Random napkin sketches 

I was reading a article on the Dwell magazine website called Aloft in the Forest. This home came from quick sketches like my teacher had been teaching about.


There is a laundry list of of concerns and hazards that come with urban living in Portland, Oregon. Raccoons, deers, and falling trees are some of the hazards that came with living in Oregon. Stefan and Nicole Andrén decided to disregard these hazards and build a home.


The vast window take advantage of the breathtaking view of the surrounding area. The home does not take away from the surrounding environment. The Andréns wanted a home that was ideal for entertaining. Creating an open circulation floor plan allowed for an easy flow from space to space, perfect for entertaining.

 

Looking through this home encourages me to work on my sketching abilities.


1 comment:

  1. Oh Don how I miss thee. I should come say hello some time! ;)

    ReplyDelete