Monday, September 5, 2011

An Interesting Concept

Since my quarter will begin next week, I have been working on my project over the break. I have been on a mission to find furniture, textiles, and other materials that are sustainable and ergonomically correct. I like to look through the New Products that have been in Interior Design magazine. I came across this image...


I took me back to my elementary days. I remember how cumbersome the desk were. This desk is very innovative. I like how all the materials that a student could possibly need is right at their fingertips. Believe it or not the conceptual design of this desk was by eighth graders! Design studio aruliden has paired up with Bernhardt Design to teach eighth graders the value of design as a problem-solving tool. 



You can watch their design process unfold at Tools at Schools. I enjoyed watching these students go through the design process. They started with research, sketched their ideas, built a model, and gave a final presentation of their design. 






I feel the students received a valuable experience. Now they have a better understand of the process that goes into design a single piece of furniture.

Check out this video:





No comments:

Post a Comment